5 Ways to Maintain Youthful, Healthy Skin All Summer Long
Tip #1: Wear A HatThe wider the brim, the better! Not only does this cover your face, but it also could help cover your neck, shoulders, and chest area if large enough. It’s a fashion statement, too! Check out this article we found in Marie Claire magazine with 25 amazing hats that will keep you looking stylish and protected from the sun all summer long.
Tip #2: Wear SunscreenSunscreen is an anti-aging product. We’ll say that again: Sunscreen is an anti-aging product. Wearing sunscreen protects your skin from harmful UV rays that can damage skin, increase signs of aging, and lead to skin cancer. Wear sunscreen! At Dermacare HR, we offer several different types of sunscreen. Here are two types of medical-grade sunscreen that are great for everyday use.
- DermacareHR Skincare MY HA Physical Tint SPF 44. This sunscreen contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, it’s water resistant, and it has a moisturizing universal tint that suits more skin types. It’s also great for those with sensitive skin. (So great that we actually recommend this for some of our post-procedure patients!). You can wear this alone or under your normal makeup for sun protection.
- SkinMedica Total Defense + Repair SPF 34. This sunscreen contains zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, octinoxate, and octisalate. It also contains antioxidants that work with your skin’s natural repair system to protect against the sun’s rays and improve signs of aging. This sunscreen comes either non-tinted or in an “ultra-sheer tint” which makes it great for matching all skin shades.
Tip #3: Stay Hydrated + Avoid AlcoholIt might be tempting to pick up your favorite adult beverage when the temps rise and the beach is calling your name—we’ve all been there. But if you want to maintain healthy, youthful skin all summer long, we recommend making sure to stay hydrated with some plain old H2O. We’re not saying to stop drinking (we love an ice cold beer on a hot day!), but we are saying that to maintain healthy, youthful skin all summer long, you should pay attention to how much alcohol you’re consuming. According to the Huffington Post (and numerous studies) alcohol dehydrates skin, and too much at once can dehydrate skin enough that after one night of drinking, fine lines and wrinkles can become more noticeable the next day. Alcohol use can also make blood vessels in the face more noticeable, which can lead to your face looking red or pink all the time. The moral of the story is: Stay hydrated.
Tip #4: Wear Polarized SunglassesWearing polarized sunglasses helps prevent wrinkles around the eyes because you (hopefully) won’t be squinting as much. If you spend a lot of time outdoors, investing in a pair of polarized sunglasses can not only prevent wrinkles, but it can reduce eyestrain, glare and reflections, and give you clearer vision in bright light.
Tip #5: Get A DHR Signature FacialOur Signature Facial is a medical-grade facial (as opposed to a pampering-type facial that you might get at a hotel spa). Our Signature Facial is fully customizable and caters to each person’s individual needs and concerns. That being said, it usually goes something like this:
- A nice, thorough cleansing
- Extractions (if necessary)
- A customized serum application – This step is fully customized to address your particular skin concerns such as dry or oily skin, acne issues, anti-aging etc.